Serving Patients in San Francisco, CA
Relieving Your Fears About Wearing Hearing Aids
Many people are well aware that they are struggling to hear as they once did, but they are reluctant to get evaluated because they fear that they will be told they need hearing aids.
The thought of hearing aids brings many negative associations to people, but most of them are completely unjustified. Today’s hearing aids are nothing like what many people think of when they think of hearing aids and the benefits they offer cannot be overstated.
What People Most Often Fear About Hearing Aids
The thought of bulky, squeaking hearing aids turns many people away from getting the help they truly need to hear well and engage in the world. However, modern hearing aids are not what they once were and many of the fears people have, such as the following, are unfounded:
- Hearing aids are big and bulky. The image of a big device perched over an ear keeps many people away from seeing a professional about their hearing loss. The reality is that many newer hearing aids are so small, they are not noticeable by others. You may even be a candidate for an in-the-ear device that is completely invisible. A hearing care professional will provide a custom fit so that your hearing aids are comfortable and easy to wear.
- Hearing aids are for old people. While it’s true that hearing loss becomes more common after the age of 65, more and more young people are experiencing noise-induced hearing loss these days. In fact, studies have shown that one in five teens shows some degree of hearing loss. So, if you need hearing aids before retirement, you are not alone.
- Hearing aids are expensive. High-tech hearing aids can be pricey and Medicare and most insurance companies don’t offer coverage for them, but there are devices offered at all price levels and community resources are often available to help those in need. Also, most hearing care clinics offer some kind of financing option to make your purchase easier.
- Hearing aids don’t work. You’ve probably heard from older friends or family members that they have tried hearing aids and they didn’t work for them. In fact, many people who don’t get the right device to begin with end up giving up and not wearing their hearing aids. With the advice and professional fitting offered at a hearing care clinic, you will not have this problem. You will be amazed at how well your hearing aids work and how seamlessly they fit into your life.
- High-tech devices are too hard to work. Today’s hearing aids offer all kinds of technology and many people think they will be difficult to work. The truth is that, while they can do some pretty fancy things, they are still very simple to work. Some hearing aids can be controlled with your smartphone and others can be connected directly to your phone to make conversations easier. Your hearing care professional will help you set everything up in the office, so you will not have to worry about not being able to take advantage of the technology.
Start With the Right People
The key to avoiding these fears is to work with a hearing care center with professionals who will help you every step of the way—from a thorough evaluation to fine tuning and adjustments. At True Sound Hearing Aid Center, we provide the information and support you need to allay your fears make your hearing aids work for you. Click the link on this page to connect to us now.